- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Place almonds on a baking sheet and toast for 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside and let cool to room temperature.
- Zest and then peel the oranges. Remove the segments and chop into small pieces.
- Place chopped orange segments and zest in a bowl and add remaining salsa ingredients. Mix together and check seasoning. Adjust as needed.
- Place the whole salmon fillet on a large, parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Increase oven temperature to 250°C (475°F).
- Brush fillet with olive oil and then with maple syrup.
- Season well.
- Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, tent with aluminum foil, and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Using a spatula and fork, break salmon into single servings and transfer to a serving plate. Sprinkle with salsa and toasted almonds.
- Accompany the salmon with rice or lemon couscous and a green vegetable if you like.
Use leftover salmon to make croquettes, or add it to a potato salad.
To maximize the flavour, avoid overcooking the fish.