- Keep the meat at room temperature for 30 to 60 minutes before cooking.
- Place the rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 260 °C (500 °F).
- Brush both sides of the steaks with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the steaks on a roasting pan or tray with high sides and cook for 10 minutes. Flip the steaks and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Lower the oven temperature to 175 °C (300 °F) and continue cooking for 15 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer displays an internal temperature of 51 °C (124 °F).
- Loosely cover the meat with aluminum foil and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Cut the meat near the bone and slice it.
Chef’s secret: Serve the Tomahawk steak with mashed potatoes, cauliflower and celeriac, a delicious green vegetable (e.g. broccolini) and a pan of mixed mushrooms, such as shiitake, portobello and cremini mushrooms.