- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Season cavity of chicken with salt and pepper. Stuff with a third of quartered onions and add three sprigs sage.
- Place chicken in a covered roasting pan, breast side up. Using your hands, carefully peel back skin and insert remaining sage leaves (without stems) under skin on breasts and thighs. Truss legs with string. In a small bowl, mix together olive oil and 30 ml (2 tbsp.) chicken broth. Brush oil mixture onto chicken. Pepper to taste.
- Arrange vegetables around chicken. In a small bowl, mix together beer and remaining chicken broth concentrate. Pour over vegetables.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour and 45 minutes or until internal temperature reads 82°C (180°F) and vegetables are tender. Periodically baste chicken and vegetables while cooking.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of salted water to boil. Add fava beans and cook 2 or 3 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse under cold water. Using your fingers, squeeze each fava bean to remove skin. Shelled beans will be deep green.
- Uncover roasting pan and gently stir beans into vegetables. Continue to bake uncovered for 10 minutes or until chicken is golden brown. Serve with sliced whole grain bread.
: Wash hands thoroughly before and after handling poultry. To avoid cross-contamination, clean any surfaces and utensils that come into contact with raw poultry with hot soapy water.