- Bring water and wine to a boil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Add mussels. Cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring from time to time. Drain mussels and reserve 500 mL (2 cups) of cooking liquid. Set mussels aside.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onion, garlic, and chorizo sausage.
- Add rice. Heat, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until rice is translucent.
- Add reserved cooking liquid, chicken broth, sweet peppers, tomatoes, shrimp, scallops, turmeric, hot pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes without stirring.
- Add asparagus. Continue cooking for 10 minutes or until liquid is completely absorbed.
- Transfer paella to a large serving plate, place mussels on top, and accompany with lemon wedges.
Chef ’s secret:
Mussels are a snap to prepare! For best results, follow these three simple steps:
- Wash mussels carefully under cold water, using a hard brush to remove any dirt or grit.
- Tap any open shells. If they don ’t close, throw them out.
- Remove the fibrous “beard” that grows between the two halves of each shell.