- Mix together the veal, egg, breadcrumbs, spices, and Parmesan in a bowl. Season to taste.
- Shape the mixture into meatballs, about 2.5 cm (1 in.) in diameter. Makes approximately 20 to 25 meatballs.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and brown the meatballs for about 6 minutes, turning a few times so the entire surface is evenly cooked.
- Add the white wine and simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the wine, sage, tomatoes, tomato paste, and tomato sauce. Mix well and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add in the meatballs and simmer 25 more minutes over medium-low heat. Add the basil and parsley during the last five minutes of cooking. Season to taste.
Serve over fresh cheese- or vegetable-stuffed pasta.
Chef's tip: To save time, replace the fresh tomatoes with 625 mL (2½ cups) of canned diced tomatoes.