- Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add mushrooms, garlic, and herbs, cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and meatless ground round, breaking it up with the spoon. Cook, stirring, for about 1 minute.
- Stir in the broth, tomato paste, peas, and sweet pepper. Cover and simmer about 5 minutes, until thickened.
- In a large bowl, mix the hot sweet potatoes and margarine. Stir in cheese. Set aside.
- Transfer the ground round mixture into a 20-cm (8-in.) square baking pan.
- Spoon sweet potato mixture over top.
- Bake in a 180°C (350°F) oven for about 30 to 40 minutes, or until well heated.
- Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
Chef's tip: Cook whole sweet potatoes in the microwave until tender. Cut them in half lengthwise and scoop out flesh with a spoon.
Vegan version: Replace the Parmesan with grated Parmesan flavour soy topping.