- Preheat barbecue to medium-high. Oil grill.
- Blacken peppers on barbecue, turning frequently on all sides.
- Place peppers in a bowl and cover with foil wrap. Let stand a few minutes. Remove peel and seeds from peppers and cut into thin strips.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat and sauté onion and garlic. Reduce heat and add peppers. Cook 10 minutes.
- Add brown sugar, vinegar, paprika, and cook until caramelized. Remove from heat and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Use to garnish burgers and sandwiches.
To grill peppers in the oven instead of on the barbecue, halve them, remove seeds, and place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil until pepper skin blackens, about 5 minutes. Remove from oven, wrap in foil, and let cool before peeling.
Peppers in the refrigerator for 7 days.
Red peppers are one of the best sources of vitamin C, and containing about twice as much as green peppers.