- Slice beets into fine wedges or matchsticks.
- Place them in a bowl, add the vinegar, salt, and pepper, and mix well.
- Cover and marinate for 6 to 12 hours in fridge so vinegar is well absorbed.
- Stir, taste, and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Accompany with choice of greens, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and freshly ground pepper, and mix well.
* To cook beets, preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
Place the beets on sheets of aluminum foil and drizzle with oil before closing into packets. Cook packets on a baking sheet for 45 to 60 minutes, depending on size. Pierce with a fork to see if beets are done. They should be tender. Let cool and then peel.