- In a large saucepan, cook beets for about 1 hour, or until tender. Drain, cool under cold running water, peel, and cut into large chunks. Set aside.
- In the meantime, combine remaining ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer mixture for 15 minutes.
- Divide beets in sterilized Mason-type jars and pour in hot marinade, leaving 1 cm of space at the top of each jar. Seal and sterilize.
This recipe's acidity level means you can use the boiling water canning technique.
- Sterilize jars by immersing in boiling water for about 5 minutes. Lids must be new to ensure a proper seal. Soak lids in hot water before using.
- Fill jars, leaving a headspace of about 1 cm (½ in.).
- Place lids and screw bands on jars but do not overtighten.
- Immerse jars in boiling water and boil for at least 15 minutes.
- Remove jars from water and let stand for 24 hours. Lid will pop when the seal tightens.
- Jars can be stored for one year in a dark, dry, cool place.