- Slice cucumbers in rounds 1½ cm (5/8 in.) thick, or along their length.
- In a bowl, combine salt and cucumbers and let stand for about 10 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, brown garlic cloves in vegetable oil over low heat until slightly coloured.
- Add water and maple syrup, and bring to a boil.
- Add savory, coriander seeds, and vinegar. Remove from heat and infuse for a few minutes.
- Divide cucumbers into sterilised Mason jars and pour in hot marinade, leaving 1 cm (½ in.) of space at the top of each jar. Seal and sterilize.
Want to make larger quantities? No problem—simply multiply all the ingredients listed.
Make sure to maintain vinegar/water/sugar ratios. Seasonings can be adjusted to taste.
This recipe's acidity level means it can be canned using the boiling water technique.
• Sterilize jars by immersing in boiling water for about 5 minutes. The lids must be new to ensure a proper seal. Soak lids in hot water before using.
• Fill jars, leaving a headspace of about 1 cm (½ in.).
• Place lids and screw bands on jars but do not over-tighten.
• Immerse jars in boiling water and boil for at least 15 minutes.
• Remove jars from water and let rest for 24 hours. The lids will be depressed and make a sudden popping noise when the seal is tight.
• The jars can be stored for one year in a dark, dry, cool place.