Picnic loaf from Josée di Stasio
- Preheat oven broiler. Place the rack 10 cm (4 in.) from the element.
- Distribute the eggplant slices on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Brush with oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook eggplant under the broiler for 12 to15 minutes.
- Distribute the zucchini slices on another lightly oiled baking sheet. Brush with oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook under the broiler for 8 minutes.
- The vegetables should be firm to the touch. Turn over halfway through cooking. Remove from oven and carefully pat dry with paper towel.
- Cut off the top third of the loaf. Set the top aside. Remove the interior and reserve for later use (breadcrumbs, croutons, etc).
- Brush the inside of the loaf and the top with olive oil.
- Line the bottom of the loaf with a few slices of provolone cheese, half the chopped olives, and lemon zest.
- Layer ingredients in the following order: eggplant, basil, grilled peppers, provolone cheese, zucchini, chopped olives, and finish with the grated cheese.
- Replace the top and press down firmly.
- Carefully wrap the loaf in a clean dish towel. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours and place a weight on top of the loaf to pack the ingredients down well.