- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- In a bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Reserve.
- In a separate bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together margarine and sugar. Add egg and egg white and beat until smooth. Stir in coconut flavouring and yogurt. Add pineapple to dry ingredients and combine well.
- Pour liquid ingredients onto dry ingredients and use a spatula to gently combine. Divide batter among 12 muffin cups that have been greased or coated with vegetable spray.
- Bake for 22 minutes or until golden and baked through. Remove from muffin pan and let cool.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg white in a bowl until soft peaks form. Reserve.
- Heat corn syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat until boiling point.
- Pour hot corn syrup over egg white, beating constantly until firm, glossy peaks form.
- Generously ice each cupcake. Garnish with toasted coconut and a slice of pineapple. Serve with fresh fruit for a dessert or snack.
Variation: Replace pineapple by tinned mandarin oranges and coconut flavouring by vanilla extract. Add 5 mL (1 tsp.) orange zest to the icing.
This light treats will end your meal with a little sunshine!