Pork Osso Buco Bourguignon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Salt pork osso bucco slices on both sides. In a large saucepan or ovenproof casserole dish, heat 15 ml (1tbsp.) oil over medium-high heat. Sear osso buco slices on both sides. Do this in two batches if necessary. Remove meat from saucepan or dish. Set aside. In same saucepan, fry onions for about 2 minutes. Add garlic and fry 1 more minute
- Add flour and stir in quickly. When flour has absorbed all the fat, pour in red wine and stir with a whisk. Add tomato paste and mix well, then add beef stock and bay leaf.Bring to a boil. Return slices of meat to saucepan.
- Cover and bake for 2 hours or until meat is tender or shreds easily with a fork. About 30 minutes before end of cooking, heat remaining oil over high heat and brown mushrooms. Add to saucepan or casserole dish and return to oven to finish cooking. Serve with celeriac purée and glazed carrots.
- To peel pearl onions more easily, blanch them in boiling water for 2 minutes. Run under cold water, then use a paring knife to peel them.
- For thicker sauce, at the end of cooking place the pan or dish over heat on the stove and remove the meat. Add 15 to 30 mL of corn starch diluted in 15 to 30 mL of cold water and stir using a whisk. Bring to a boil, then return osso bucco slices to sauce.
- Replace the button mushrooms with specialty mushrooms such as oyster, morel or porcini.