Pork osso buco with lemon
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Season the pork shank with salt and pepper and lightly coat with flour.
- Warm a skillet over medium heat. Add 30 mL (2 tbsp.) of oil and 30 mL (2 tbsp.) of butter. When the oil and butter are very hot, brown shank about 5 minutes per side.
- Remove shank from skillet and set aside. Reduce heat to minimum. Add 30 mL (2 tbsp.) olive oil and 30 mL (2 tbsp.) of butter to skillet.
- Add garlic, onion, carrots, celery, bay leaf, thyme, and rosemary. Sauté vegetables to soften, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Deglaze with white wine and reduce until liquid has almost completely evaporated. Add half the zest and lemon juice (about 1 lemon).
- Pour in 625 mL (2½ cups) broth and bring to a boil. Transfer to a Dutch oven, add reserved pork shank, and cover.
- Cook until meat becomes very tender, about 2 hours. Add more broth if liquid evaporates too quickly
- To finish, remove shank from Dutch oven, reduce sauce until texture becomes syrupy, and then add remaining lemon zest and juice and 2 tbsp. butter. Return pork to Dutch oven to reheat before serving.