- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Season the pork rib roast with salt and pepper. Heat oil over medium-high heat in a casserole dish. Brown roast about 3 minutes per side. Set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the onion and garlic to the same casserole dish. Fry about 1 minute (without browning the garlic). Add wine vinegar, red wine, beef broth, thyme, and bay leaves. Sprinkle in the flour and blend well. Return pork rib roast to the casserole. Bake 45 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat remaining oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté about 5 or 6 minutes, or until golden brown. Set aside.
- Add mushrooms to the casserole and continue baking 30 minutes, or until roast's internal temperature reaches 70°C (160°F). Place roast on a plate and cover with foil wrap. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, remove thyme sprigs and bay leaves from cooking liquid. Bring to a boil and reduce by half or until sauce has slightly thickened.
- Serve one pork rib per person with mushroom sauce, broccoli, and mashed potatoes.
Replace pork rib roast with chicken breasts, and the thyme with rosemary.
CHEF'S SECRET:To remove fat from the cooking liquid, allow to sit a few