- Using a colander, rinse mussels under cold water and dispose of broken or open shells (see Chef’s secret).
- Cut chorizo into small cubes. Dice onion and finely slice the leek.
- In a large saucepan set over medium-high heat, cook chorizo, onion and leek without adding any fat for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring constantly until onion is translucent.
- Pour in white wine and bring to a boil.
- Add diced tomatoes and smoked paprika. Season generously with pepper.
- Place mussels in the saucepan and cover. Reduce to medium heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until mussels open.
- Transfer onto a serving plate and garnish with parsley, if desired.
This recipe is best prepared at the last minute.
- Before throwing away mussels that have opened, try closing them yourself. If they stay closed, that means they’re alive! If they remain open, bin them. And after cooking, it’s the opposite—don’t eat mussels that remained closed.
Photo credit : Maude Chauvin