Prime rib steak with black beer barbecue sauce
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook onion for 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add beer and continue cooking for 5 minutes, or until liquid is reduced by half.
- Add brown sugar, rice vinegar, ketchup, hoisin sauce, and harissa sauce. Cook 20 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens. Set aside half the sauce to serve with steaks.
- Brush both sides of steaks with two-thirds of remaining sauce. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat barbecue to medium-high.
- Remove steaks from fridge 15 minutes before cooking. Place steaks on oiled barbecue grill and cook 7 to 8 minutes per side, or until internal temperature reaches 70°C (160°F) for medium doneness. Use remaining third of the sauce to brush on steaks while cooking.
- Remove steaks from heat, cover with aluminum foil and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Serve steaks with the sauce, and grilled slices of sweet potato and asparagus.