- In a saucepan, fry onion in oil for 2 minutes.
- Add carrots and chicken broth and cook over medium heat for 20 to 25 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Season to taste.
- Using a food processor, purée mixture.
- Return mixture to saucepan and add ingredients according to the variation selected.
- Heat, stirring constantly.
- Garnish with a little bit of fresh herbs according to the option selected.
- Serve with Compliments Country Loaf bread.
The basic recipe for savoury puréed soup consists of frying some onion, garlic or leeks in a little oil, adding your choice of vegetables and seasonings (thyme, basil, etc.) and covering the mixture with broth. You then let it simmer until the vegetables are tender and purée it in a blender until smooth. Milk or cream can be added to taste for an even creamier texture!
To make a meal soup, add a source of protein to your vegetable soup, such as leftover chicken, legumes (kidney beans, chickpeas), or even shrimp. Complete with whole grain bread and yogurt to create a balanced meal.
A bright yellow spice, turmeric plays a significant role in the social, medicinal and culinary tradition of India. It has anti-cancer properties which are considerably enhanced by the presence of pepper. Rice, soups, dressings, pasta salad—you can add turmeric to a whole host of dishes!