In the oven
In the slow cooker
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Dredge veal cubes in flour.
- Heat oil in an ovenproof casserole over medium-high heat and brown the veal cubes, garlic, and bouquet garni. Set aside.
- Deglaze with the veal stock and red wine, add the demi-glace sauce and mix well.
- Return veal cubes to the casserole, bring to a boil, cover and place in the oven for about 1 hour and 30 minutes, until meat easily separates with slight pressure.
- Meanwhile, cut salted pork fat into small 0.5-cm (¼-in.) cubes (lardoons), being sure to remove the rind.
- In a saucepan of simmering water, blanch the lardoons a few minutes to remove excess salt.
- Pour into in a colander and drain well.
- In a skillet, sauté the lardoons over low heat until they begin to brown. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- In same skillet, brown pearl onions in the lardoon cooking fat over medium-high heat and then set aside.
- Still in same skillet, sauté the mushrooms in the lardoon cooking fat and then set aside.
- Fifteen minutes before the veal cubes have finished cooking, add the lardoons, pearl onions, and mushrooms to the veal cubes and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Follow the same directions for cooking in the oven and set slow cooker to high. Cook for 4 hours until meat easily separates with slight pressure, or internal temperature reaches 90°C (195°F). Fifteen minutes before the end of cooking, add the lardoons, pearl onions, and mushrooms to the veal cubes. Adjust the seasoning as needed.