Quebec Milk-Fed Leg of Veal Roast stuffed with Pear, Cranberry and Pistachio
- Preheat oven to 135°C (275°F).
- With a wooden spoon handle or metal skewer, perforate the centre of the leg roast from end to end and expand the hole to its maximum size with the utensil handle. If you prefer, you can open up the roast, stuff it, roll and tie it. In a small bowl, mix the pears, dried cranberries, pistachios, rosemary and green peppercorns.
- Stuff the centre of the roast with half the fruit mixture. Place the rest of the stuffing in the refrigerator. In a non-stick skillet, heat the oil over high heat.
- Salt and pepper the meat and brown on all sides for about 5 minutes. Place the roast in a roasting pan. Cook in oven for 1 hour. Add the rest of the stuffing and continue cooking for about 15 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the middle of the meat registers 60°C (140°F).
- Remove the roast from the oven and place on a plate, cover with aluminum foil and let sit for at least 15 minutes (the internal temperature of the roast will continue to rise at least 5 degrees). In the meantime, pour the veal stock into the roasting pan and bring to a boil, scraping the bottom with a wooden spoon to loosen browned bits.
- Carve the roast into slices, serve with polenta or mashed potatoes and roasted asparagus.