- Place rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Line the bottom of a 23-cm (9-in.) springform pan or a 20-cm (8-in.) square pyrex baking dish with parchment paper. Grease and flour the sides.
- Place dates, water, and baking soda in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer while stirring frequently for 3 minutes. Set aside in a bowl to cool.
- In a bowl, blend together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, cream the butter, brown sugar, and vanilla extract with electric beaters. Add egg and beat until batter is creamy and smooth. With beaters on low, alternately add in dry mixture and date mixture. Add nuts and mix. Pour into the pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into centre of cake comes out clean. Remove cake from oven. Preheat the broiler.
- Bring all frosting ingredients to a boil in a saucepan while stirring. Simmer gently for 2 minutes.
- Spread icing on still warm cake and place under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes, or until frosting is lightly golden brown.
The Rubik's Cube seems to be an impossible puzzle but it's easy to solve it using algorithms.