- Place rack in middle position and preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- In a bowl, combine all crust ingredients and knead into a dough. Use your hands to spread the dough into a pie plate. Poke a few holes in the dough with a fork; then bake for 10 to 12 minutes. (The crust will not be fully cooked.)
- Melt butter in a skillet set over medium-high heat. Brush leek strips with maple syrup and grill. Remove and set aside on a plate.
- In the same skillet, brown the chopped onion and chopped leek for 5 minutes over medium-high heat. Transfer to a bowl. Let cool for 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients except the leek strips. Whisk until combined; then pour the filling mixture into the crust.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place the leek strips on top. Return quiche to the oven and bake for 5 more minutes.
Tips and tricks
For fast mashed sweet potatoes, pierce the sweet potato with a fork a few times; then microwave for 3 to 5 minutes (depending on size). When the sweet potato is soft to the touch, remove the skin and scrape out the flesh.
Since the crust dough will be sticky, it’s a good idea to rinse your hands under hot water before handling it.
If you’re hosting Easter dinner this year, consider quiche—it’s always a crowd-pleaser! Here’s the recipe for our vegetarian leek quiche. The sweet potato crust gives it a little touch of sweetness. Add leek and you’ve got a winning combination!
Can be frozen
Keeps in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days