- Chop onions and garlic. Finely slice chorizo. Dice pepper and chicken.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet set over medium-high heat. Cook onion, chorizo and chicken for 5 to 7 minutes or until chicken starts to golden.
- Add garlic, pepper, orzo and spices. Add broth, stir in tomato paste and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-high and cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until orzo is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in frozen shrimp and peas. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Serve.
Keeps in the refrigerator for 2 days. Do not freeze.
- Paella spice is a blend of spices that usually contains turmeric, smoked paprika, saffron, bell pepper, black pepper, fennel and thyme. You will find it in the spice aisle at the grocery store.
- Divide remaining tomato paste into 15 mL (1 tbsp.) balls and place on a plate lined with parchment paper. Put plate in the freezer. Once tomato paste is frozen, place balls in an airtight container and store in the freezer. The next time a recipe calls for tomato paste, add the required number of balls for the desired amount.
Crédit photo : Maude Chauvin