Rabbit Pie with Maple Sugar
START RECIPE 2 WEEKS BEFORE CHRISTMAS
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and sauté the onion and garlic for 3 minutes. Add the maple sugar, the meat and the potato, and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the spices and let simmer over low heat for about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove the filling from the heat and set aside. Line a 23-cm (9-in.), 5-cm (2-in.) deep pie plate with the first pie crust.
- Distribute the reserved filling evenly, then cover with the second crust. Make small cuts with a knife in the top of the pie to allow the steam to escape during baking. Let cool, then freeze for 4 weeks.
- The day you want to serve the pie, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Remove the pie from the freezer and place it directly in the oven. Bake for 2 hours or until the crust is golden.
- Can be kept in the freezer for 3 months.
- The day you want to serve it, remove the pie from the freezer and place it directly in the oven.