- Cook macaroni in a large saucepan of boiling salted water according to package instructions. Add broccoli and cauliflower for the last 5 minutes of cooking. Drain and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat and sauté shallots for 2 minutes, or until translucent. Add milk and nutmeg; heat until the milk is simmering. Incorporate diluted cornstarch and allow to simmer for 2 minutes, or until sauce thickens. Reduce heat to low and add grated cheese a little at a time, stirring until completely melted. Return macaroni and vegetables to the pot and combine with sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for 5 to 8 minutes, stirring, until the mixture is hot and the pasta and vegetables are coated with cheese sauce. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
- Serve with a green salad.
* To toast sesame seeds, heat a small non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add sesame seeds and cook for about 1 minute, or until aromatic and lightly toasted. Reserve.