Rigatoni and bolognese sauce au gratin from Josée di Stasio
- Heat oil and butter over medium-high heat in a 6-litre saucepan.
- Fry vegetables for 5 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Add 1 mL (¼ tsp.) of salt.
- Add ground pork and fry for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add 1 mL (¼ tsp.) of salt. Add the fennel seed, hot pepper, tomato paste, and bay leaves, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the beef broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, remove sausage casings and cut sausages into 1-cm (½-in.) rounds.
- Add the sausage, both cans of tomatoes, garlic, and simmer for 30 to 40 more minutes until sauce has reduced slightly.
- Crush tomatoes while they cook using a wooden spoon.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Cook pasta for two-thirds the recommended time in a saucepan of boiling, salted water.
- Drain well and mix with sauce in a greased 22.5 x 32.5-cm (9 x 13-in.) baking dish.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with an arugula or spinach salad, to taste.
You can prepare the sauce ahead of time and put in the freezer once it's cooled.
Cut the recipe in half to make 4 servings. Simply use a smaller baking dish.
Leftovers are perfect for the lunchbox.