- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Place duck in an ovenproof dish.
- Insert half of apple slices and one sprig each of thyme and rosemary into duck cavity.
- Pick leaves from one sprig each of thyme and rosemary and sprinkle onto duck. Drizzle honey evenly over top. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange shallots, cranberries, and remaining apple slices around duck.
- Roast in the oven for 2 to 2½ hours, or until a meat thermometer gives an internal temperature of 82°C (180°F).
- Remove duck from oven and let rest for fifteen minutes.
- Pour red wine and balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan.
- Add the leaves from the remaining thyme and rosemary sprigs, as well as the pan-roasted cranberries, apples, and shallots, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until sauce is reduced by half.
- Slice duck and place meat on individual plates.
- Spoon a little sauce over meat.
- Serve with braised root vegetables.
Estimate 60 minutes of cooking time per kilogram. The duck will be done when the thighs easily pull off or when the internal temperature reaches 82°C (180°F).