Roast leg of lamb and white bean stew from Stefano Faita
Leg of lamb
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Using a sharp knife, make 10 to 12 small incisions in the leg of lamb. Insert a piece of garlic and a small sprig of thyme into each incision.
- Season meat with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Transfer lamb to a roasting pan.
- Roast until internal temperature reaches 63°C (145°F) for rare doneness, and 70°C (158°F) for medium doneness, about 1½ to 2 hours depending on the meat's size and thickness.
- While lamb is roasting, prepare the white bean stew.
- When leg of lamb is cooked, cover with aluminum foil and let stand for about 15 minutes before carving. Serve with white bean stew and carrots with tops.
White bean stew
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and sage.
- Fry 1 or 2 minutes or until garlic starts to become golden brown. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add white beans and continue cooking for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Immediately before serving, drizzle beans with olive oil.