Roast Rabbit in a Dried Fruit Sauce
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Spread fennel, carrots, parsnips and onion on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Remove giblets from rabbit. Wash rabbit under cold water and dry well. Cut rabbit open to spread it out. Lay spatchcock-style over vegetables.
- In a small bowl, combine butter, mustard and thyme. Spread over rabbit. Salt and pepper rabbit and vegetables. Place in middle of oven and roast uncovered for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until meat separates easily from bone or internal temperature reads 70°C (160°F).
- Meanwhile, prepare sauce. In a pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown onion and garlic for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Sprinkle with flour and stir for 1 more minute. Add wine slowly, mixing with a flat whisk. Let mixture reduce by half. Add chicken stock, dried fruit and thyme. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove thyme sprigs. Arrange rabbit and roasted vegetables on plates, then top with fruit sauce. Serve with hulled barley and mushrooms.