- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Using a sharp knife, slice the top off the garlic bulb horizontally.
- Brush the top with olive oil and sprinkle with thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Wrap garlic in aluminum foil and roast in oven for about 40 minutes. Let cool.
- Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with chicken bouillon. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook for 15 minutes, or until tender. Drain, reserving about 80 mL (1/3 cup) cooking broth. Transfer potatoes to a large bowl.
- Mash potatoes coarsely with a masher.
- Hold roasted garlic over bowl and squeeze so pulp falls onto potatoes.
- Add butter, cream, and reserved cooking broth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Beat with an electric mixer until creamy in texture. Adjust seasoning if needed.
You can replace the chicken bouillon by water and the cream by milk to reduce the salt and fat content.