Rock Cornish hens with clementines, juniper berries, and maple syrup
- Place the rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Rinse the hens with cold water and dry with paper towel.
- Place the hens, breast-side up, in a parchment-lined baking dish and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Brush each hen with 15 mL (1 tbsp.) of maple syrup.
- Mix together the clementine zest, juniper berries, and hot pepper flakes in a bowl.
- Use your hands to coat hens evenly with mixture, and then sprinkle with thyme leaves.
- Arrange the clementine halves face-down around the Cornish hens.
- Roast in the oven for about 1 hour or until a meat thermometer inserted in the thigh, away from the bone, reads 82°C (180°F).
- After roasting 30 minutes, brush the remaining maple syrup onto the hens.
- Serve one half Rock Cornish hen per person with two roasted clementine halves (in lieu of sauce) and with roasted root vegetables, exotic mushrooms, and cipollini onions.