- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F).
- Season roast all over with salt. Heat oil in a roasting pan over medium-high heat and sear roast for 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until well browned.
- Add garlic cloves and pearl onions to roasting pan, and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, until lightly browned. Transfer roast to slow cooker and season with pepper to taste. Add carrots, turnips, and veal stock. Garnish with rosemary sprigs and whole cloves.
- Cook in slow cooker on low for 7 hours.
- Transfer roast and vegetables to a serving plate. Cover with aluminum foil while preparing the bouillon.
- In a saucepan, bring pan juices to a boil and reduce by half. Filter the bouillon and pour into a gravy dish.
- Serve roast and vegetables with mashed potatoes and bouillon.
Similar to broth, veal stock is used to make sauces and soups, and to add moisture to meat in braised dishes and stews.