Potato and smoked salmon rostis from Josée di Stasio
- Grate potatoes. Rinse with cold water and press with clean cloth to dry. This should produce 1 L (4 cups) of grated potato.
- In a bowl, combine potatoes, salt, cornstarch, green onions, pepper, and hot pepper if using. Add egg white and mix.
- In a large skillet, heat 5 mL (1 tsp.) of oil over medium heat.
- Drop in a spoonful of batter and flatten with a spatula to form a 10-cm (4-in.) pancake.
- Cook for about 5 minutes per side or until nicely coloured.
- Place rosti on paper towel. Keep warm.
- Repeat steps using remaining oil.
Flavoured sour cream
Chef ’s secrets:
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Divide sour cream onto rostis and garnish with smoked salmon and microgreens.
- All parts of this recipe can be prepared in advance.
- Store chilled rostis in an airtight container, separated by parchment paper.
- Reheat uncovered on a baking sheet at 150°C (300°F) for about 10 minutes.