- Preheat barbecue to high.
- Using a sharp knife, butterfly the veal tenderloins by slicing open lengthwise, leaving a spine of 1 cm (1/2 inch) intact, and unfolding the two halves. Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper and spread on olive tapenade; top with sage leaves. Tie the tenderloins closed with string and season all over with salt and pepper.
- Place tenderloins on oiled barbecue rack and grill for 1 minute per side. Extinguish one burner and place tenderloins over unlit burner. Close lid and cook for about 15 minutes, until meat is still slightly pinkish inside.
- Remove from heat and cover with aluminum foil. Let meat rest for 10 minutes. Remove strings and slice tenderloins thinly.
- Serve with polenta (or rice) and green beans.
Variation: For hot summer days, veal tenderloin is equally deliciously served cold. It should be served the day after cooking. Slice meat very thinly, and serve with raw or grilled vegetables and olive tapenade.