- Place flour in a resealable plastic bag, add salt and pepper, and dredge beef cubes in the mixture.
- In a cast-iron Dutch oven or a large, deep skillet, heat some olive oil and brown the pearl onions and mushrooms. Season to taste. When browned, pour in maple syrup and mix well. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat oil. Shake beef cubes to remove excess flour and brown them in three batches over medium-high heat, adding more oil if needed. Set aside on a plate.
- Deglaze skillet with beer and reduce by half.
- Pour in beef broth, dissolve the tomato paste in it, and then add the thyme and bay leaf. Add the beef cubes and the reserved onion-mushroom mixture.
- Cover and gently simmer for at least 2 hours.
- Uncover and reduce sauce until thickened, about 30 minutes. Keep warm.
- Cook potatoes in boiling, salted water for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain potatoes when cooked.
- Add the butter, cream, cheddar, salt, and pepper to the saucepan and mash potatoes with a potato masher or hand mixer. Set aside.
- Before serving, steam the frozen green peas for 2 to 4 minutes.
Spoon a generous dollop of mashed potatoes into 4 deep bowls, cover with beef cubes, and top with peas.
Surround with mushrooms and onions.