- Place rack in middle position and preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Pour the barley and vegetable stock into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and continue cooking for 25 minutes (see tips and tricks). Remove from heat, transfer to a salad bowl and let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, toss the chickpeas with the vegetable oil and season. Spread chickpeas out on a baking sheet, and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, stirring every 10 to 15 minutes.
- Place the carrots and radishes on a baking tray lined with a reusable non-stick sheet. Brush with olive oil and dust with za’atar. Bake for 25 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Mix fresh herbs with the pearl barley and top with vegetables. Drizzle with dressing and garnish with crispy chickpeas.
Tips and tricks:
You’ll know that the pearl barley is cooked when it has tripled in volume. You can add some water if the saucepan gets too dry before the barley is done cooking. It’s a good idea to check it every 5 minutes until the barley reaches the desired consistency.
You can make the crispy chickpeas ahead of time and store them at room temperature in an airtight container for 2 to 3 days.
For even crispier chickpeas, remove the skin before you cook them.
Here’s another salad idea that’s sure to wow your guests! Most of us have never tried a roasted radish, and yet they’re so soft and delicious prepared this way. The roasted veggies and crispy chickpeas add a special touch.
Don’t be afraid to make extra chickpeas. They’re so tasty that you might end up eating half of them while you’re making the salad.
Does not freeze
Keeps in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days (Store chickpeas in an airtight container at room temperature and add just before serving)