- Place sausages in a pot of boiling water and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Drain and cut sausages into 2.5-cm (1-in.) pieces.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat and sauté onions until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the pieces of sausage and fry until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, diced tomatoes, spices, and thyme, and moisten with chicken broth.
- Reduce heat to medium. Cover and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes (remove lid for final 15 minutes) or until mixture is a lovely red colour and nice consistency. Be sure to keep your eye on the mixture and add a bit of chicken broth if needed.
- Serve with the rice of your choice
Sausage rougail is a dish from Réunion Island, made with pieces of Creole sausage and rougail (diced tomatoes, crushed ginger, thinly sliced onions, and peppers).