Sautéed scallops with maple sauce and barley pilaf
- In a saucepan, sauté the first three ingredients, add barley, coat well and add white wine. Reduce for 2 minutes. Add chicken broth.
- Bring to boil and then reduce heat, cover and simmer very gently for 35 to 40 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed and barley is tender.
- Meantime heat butter and oil in a large skillet, then cook scallops until golden (3 to 4 minutes per side).
- Set aside on a plate. In the same skillet, add onions. Stir briefly. Deglaze skillet with white wine. When wine has reduced by half, add maple syrup, stir well and remove from heat.
- Serve 3 to 4 scallops per person on a bed of barley pilaf, then top with 1 or 2 tablespoons of sauce. Serve with carrots and garnish with fresh thyme or rosemary.