- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Add the cream, garlic, onion, and bay leaves to a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat for about 15 minutes. Keep warm.
- In a large 20 cm (8 in.) square baking dish, place a layer of potato slices, overlapping slightly, and then a second layer with slices of squash. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add another layer of potatoes and then a layer of squash. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Finish with the remaining potato slices.
- Pass the cream mixture through a strainer to remove the onion and bay leaves. Pour the hot cream mixture over the potatoes and squash. Bake for 1 hour. Sprinkle with thyme and grated cheese and continue baking about 15 minutes, or until potatoes and squash are tender.
- Serve as a side dish for grilled meat.
To avoid waste, cut leftover squash into quarters with the peel on. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and fresh herbs (thyme, parsley). Bake in a 180°C (350°F) oven for about 30 minutes, or until the squash is tender. It makes a delicious side dish.