- In a saucepan, heat 15 mL (1 tablespoon) of olive oil over medium heat.
- Sauté onion and garlic for about 3 minutes, or until onion is translucent. Add rice, and stir to coat well.
- Add white wine and allow to reduce by half. Pour in chicken broth and lemon juice. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cover pan; reduce heat to low. Allow rice to simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes, or until cooked and creamy in texture.
- Stir in mascarpone cheese and spinach leaves, combining well. Cover and reserve.
- In a non-stick skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Sear scallops for 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until opaque. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide risotto into 4 shallow bowls. Top with scallops, lemon zest and fresh basil.
Variation: If you can't find mascarpone cheese, use cream cheese instead.