- Mix together the flour and sugar in a bowl. Add butter and mix well. The dough will be crumbly.
- Incorporate the orange flower water and egg, and then knead dough quickly until consistent and smooth.
- Roll out dough to about 4- to 5-mm (¼-in.) thick. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- In the meantime, prepare the date jam. Cook dates with the water and sugar over medium heat in a saucepan for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring regularly. Set aside to cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Remove dough from fridge and cut cookies with cookie cutters. Place them on parchment-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate about 10 minutes.
- Bake in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes. Leave on baking sheet to cool.
- Top a biscuit with date jam and then cover with a second biscuit. Repeat with remaining shortbread biscuits.
Use remaining date jam in plain yogurt, with cheese, or served with lamb.