- In a large skillet, stir-fry the shrimp over high heat for about 1 to 2 minutes, or until nice and pink. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat oil over high heat and sauté mushrooms for 3 minutes, or until they release their juices.
- Add the carrots, garlic, 60 mL (¼ cup) green onions, chilled rice, ham, and reserved shrimp. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add spinach or peas and mix well.
- Make a well in the middle of the pan and pour in beaten eggs.
- Cook for 1 minute without stirring, and then incorporate egg into the rice mixture.
- Turn off heat and add soy sauce to taste.
- Garnish with remaining green onions.
It's best to use cold rice because the starch will have dried so it will fry better. To prepare, cook rice according to package instructions. Add salt and a little olive oil to the cooking water.
Spread rice onto a baking sheet and chill uncovered in fridge for 30 minutes. Set aside.
Fried rice reheats well and you can add small, cut-up pieces of leftover cooked veggies like beans, broccoli, roasted peppers, etc. You can also add chopped pieces of leftover cooked sausage.