Slow-cooked pea soup with ham
- Soak yellow peas in a large bowl of water for at least 6 hours, but preferably overnight. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat and sauté onions without browning.
- Add carrots and celery and fry for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Place mixture in slow cooker.
- Quickly fry the pork fat. Add it to the slow cooker.
- Add the reserved peas, broth, herbs, and ham.
- Cook in slow cooker on high for 6 hours.
- Remove the bay leaves and pork fat and serve.