- Preheat barbecue to high, approximately 290 °C (550 °F).
- Cut beef into small cubes.
- In a large bowl, combine oil, soy sauce, oregano and thyme. Add beef cubes and mix to coat well.
- Thread beef onto skewers, leaving gaps in between. Flatten beef well with hands.
- Place skewers on barbecue grid and grill covered for 3 to 5 minutes. Turn and continue cooking for 3 to 5 minutes or until desired doneness.
- In the meantime, slice cucumber and finely chop herbs.
- Two minutes before beef is done, heat pitas on barbecue grid.
- Spread tzatziki over pitas and place one or two skewers per pita. Garnish with herbs, cucumber slices and pickled onions and serve.
This recipe is best prepared at the last minute.
Try using store-bought beef cubes for your skewers. If necessary, cut the biggest cubes to get similarly sized 2 cm (¾ in.) cubes.
To prepare the pickled onions, finely slice one small red onion and place in an airtight bowl or container. In a small saucepan, bring 60 mL (¼ cup) of white vinegar, 60 mL (¼ cup) of water and 5 mL (1 tsp.) of sugar to a boil. Remove from heat, pour over onions and let sit for a few minutes.
Photography credit : Marine Le Berre