- Rinse mussels in cold water. Discard any with damaged or opened shells.
- In a large 4L pot with lid, melt butter over low heat. Add garlic and infuse for 5 minutes without browning. Remove garlic with a slotted spoon or keep for garlic lovers.
- Add 2 cans of tomatoes and pepper (if using) and bring to a boil. Add mussels, cover, and cook for a few minutes. Remove any mussels that remain closed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in salted boiling water according to package directions.
- Set aside 250 mL (1 cup) of cooking water. Drain pasta and add with cooked mussels to pot. Mix to combine. Add some cooking water if required. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve immediately topped with chopped fresh parsley.
NOTE: We used Cirio cherry tomatoes.
- It’s important not to brown the garlic so it doesn’t turn bitter.