Spanish beef stew from Christian Begin
- Season beef cubes to taste with salt and pepper.
- In large Dutch oven, heat 30 mL (2 tbsp.) olive oil over medium-high heat and fry beef cubes until nicely browned on all sides.
- Reduce heat to medium; add remaining oil and fry garlic and onion until onion is translucent.
- Soften saffron in a bit of hot water.
- Add broth, saffron, paprika, and fennel seed, and mix well.
- Add the passata, season with salt and pepper, bring to a boil, cover, and cook at a low boil for 2 hours.
- Add squash, cover, and continue cooking for 30 minutes.
- Add the eggplant, sweet pepper, beans, and continue cooking for about 30 minutes, until vegetables and meat are tender.
- Adjust seasoning as needed; serve stew piping hot. Sprinkle with parsley and accompany with white rice.