- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Remove the hard white end from each asparagus spear [about 2 cm (1 inch)] and peel the bottom half of stalks.
- Wrap a slice of smoked trout around 3 asparagus stalks, leaving ends exposed. Roll up trout using a strand of chive and then tie in a knot. Trim chive ends. Repeat steps with remaining asparagus.
- Arrange asparagus in an even layer on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Reserve. Heat milk in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add cornstarch and stir until thick.
- Allow to simmer for 2 minutes. Add cheese and stir until sauce is smooth and cheese is melted. Pour cheese sauce in a stream down the middle of the asparagus and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake for 12 minutes, or until asparagus is cooked but still crisp. Serve 2 asparagus bundles per person at brunch or as a side dish.
Aide gourmet tip: Replace trout by smoked salmon or turkey, and try different cheeses such as Gruyère, sharp cheddar or Parmesan.