Spicy apple bundles with honey-rosewater sauce
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Mix together the cinnamon, cardamom, and nutmeg in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, juice, 15 mL (1 tbsp.) sugar, and half the spice mixture.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, caramelize the apple mixture, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Add remaining sugar to spice mixture and mix well. Set aside.
- Cut each phyllo pastry sheet in half and from each half, cut a square to obtain 12 squares.
- Brush the first square with melted butter and place another square on top. Repeat so there are three layers of phyllo. Place a quarter of the apple mixture on top of the three layers and close to form a bundle. Brush with butter and sprinkle with the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Repeat process to make three more bundles and then bake for 8 minutes or until the pastry is golden and crispy. Meanwhile, prepare the sauce.
- Bring honey to boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Mix cornstarch into a little water, and then stir it into the honey, cream, and rosewater; continue stirring until sauce comes to a boil or thickens.
- Serve bundles warm accompanied by a ramekin of honey-rosewater sauce.