- Cook pasta in a large saucepan according to package instructions. Drain and return to pan. Reserve.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add flour and stir to blend well. Cook for about 1 minute, stirring frequently so that the mixture does not brown. Gradually pour in milk, whisking until the sauce thickens.
- Reduce heat to low and continue cooking for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add cheddar and stir until cheese melts. Incorporate Swiss cheese, Cajun spices and paprika. Stir until cheese has melted. Pour cheese sauce over cooked pasta. Top with ham, a generous sprinkling of pepper, and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Divide among 4 shallow bowls and garnish with parsley.
Aide-gourmet tip: Almost any variety of cheese will go with pasta. Just be sure to remove any rind before adding. It's an excellent way to use up leftover cheese!