- Melt 30 mL (2 tbsp.) of butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the leeks and garlic and fry, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add rice and cook for 2 minutes, stirring to coat grains with butter. Season with salt.
- Pour in white wine and reduce until dry. Add lemon zest.
- Add hot broth one ladleful at a time, stirring constantly for 15 to 20 minutes over medium-high heat.
- About 5 minutes before risotto's ready, melt the rest of butter over high heat in a large skillet.
- Pat seafood dry, season, and sear quickly until coloured and still tender inside (2 minutes maximum for scallops; remove shrimp from heat as soon as they turn pink). Set aside.
- Check whether the rice is done. Add broth as needed.
- The risotto's texture should be creamy and not too dry.
- Remove from heat and add the spinach, Parmesan, and mascarpone (if using).
- Mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve in two warmed, deep bowls.
- Place seafood over risotto and add enjoy immediately.
Mascarpone adds a festive touch to Valentine's Day and extremely creamy texture to risotto.
It's also possible to mix shrimp and scallops (half the amount indicated for each) for a delicious combination.
Add a bit of icing sugar or maple syrup to leftover mascarpone to use as a dessert topping.